Tuesday, October 4, 2011

I solemnly swear that I'm still alive!

Erm. Sorry about that. I meant to post more often than once a year, honestly.

The big Gisela project is on hold for now, for the simple reason that the house is huge and I've no room to work on it anywhere. Hence I've been concentrating on random minis and a roombox.

The roombox is for Loghain, my most favourite not-quite-villain from the video game Dragon Age (here's a reference picture). This is him staring moodily into the fire. He does that when he's not failing at politics.

Loghain's box is about half done in structure. It's simple (though very thick) MDF that I got at scrap prices at the local hardware store. The ceiling is clay that will get grunged-up a little more and then sprayed with matte varnish to fix it. The fireplace was supposed to have egg carton "stone" finish but it looked amazingly bad, so I covered the lot in granite-coloured clay which I will detail in pastels when it's dry all the way. The walls are getting covered in stucco.



There's a lot to be done but once I abandoned all my lofty ideas and decided to just finish it any which way because it's my first attempt at a bigger scene and I'm supposed to learn from my mistakes, it's started actually moving a bit faster. ;)

Here are some tiles that will make up the floor later, though I've no idea yet what I'll use for grout. They're partly poured plaster and party textured stucco on paper-thin balsa bits.


In non-roombox minis, I've been doing small things on and off. Here's a bag and two hats I've made for my friend Amanda. The bag was made with this fantastic tutorial.
 
 










I'm still trying to figure out how to make decent miniature shoes. I have all the materials, I just lack the know-how. There shall be more experiments in the future. And Fimo experiments, seeing as I semi-accidentally bought a used Atlas pasta maker for a bargain...

No comments:

Post a Comment